Cesar Chávez. November 9, 1984.
We have a unique opportunity to change the history books in California K-12 to include Chicano/Mexican American history- but we must act now. Time is passing.
Mexican American/ Chicano history is currently substantially absent from public school textbooks and curriculum in California- and it has been since 1986. Latino student political non participation and alienation from school is significantly caused by Latino absence from the K-12 textbooks and curriculum.
On behalf of the Mexican American Digital History project, we ask that you write a letter to the review committee for the revision of the History/Social Science framework. Now is a good time to get this done (a guide to writing such a letter is here )https://sites.google.com/site/democracyandeducationorg/Home/latino-students-and-civic-engagement/project-plan---mexican-american-history
We ask you to
1. Look over the draft History/Social Science Framework for California Schools.
(or take our suggestions and guides to specific pages)
2. Write a letter to the Framework Committee encouraging the inclusion of Mexican American/Latino history in the revised framework. It is most effective to make specific recommendations of material to include- see samples. To be effective your letter should arrive by May 1, 2015.
3. Send your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Send a copy to the Mexican American Digital History project at email@example.com
5. Links to documents and background information is available at the site above.